Monday, November 14, 2011

Spicy Chicken Soup/Stew

See the title?  Between J and I, we can't decide if it's a soup or stew.  Either way, it's freakin delicious!  It was originally inspired by a soup potluck we had in class last week.  Yup, you read correctly...  a soup potluck.  I had never heard of one before, but since our class president LOVES soups, she thought it up!  Great idea C!!  There was a chili and a chicken noodle soup along with some delicious dips and chips.  I will be adding my copy cat recipe for the absolutely delish dip that was made and brought in.  I have to admit it looked rather, um... gross, but alas, it was fantabulous!!  Anyways, on to the soup.  The other soup that was brought in was a spicy chicken soup/stew (LOL).  Thanks S for the inspiration!






Doesn't it look to die for?  It is...  trust me!  J went back for seconds and he's not a big fan of soup.  I made the base soup and then put out cheese and fresh chopped onions to add as a garnish.  I would have put out some sour cream too, but we were out.  (Sour cream doesn't last long in our house.)  J doesn't care for fresh onions so he only went for cheese, but K and I added cheese and onions to ours.  I think the fresh onions added a crisp element that really set it off!


Here's the recipe...


Spicy Chicken Soup/Stew


5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cans of whole kernel corn
2 cans of black beans
2 large cans of chopped green chilies
2 taco seasoning packets
2 large cans of whole tomatoes


I pulled the frozen chicken breasts out of the freezer and put them in the crock pot around noon.  I opened all the cans and added them, juice and all, to the pot.  Stirred it well and cover.  Cook on high for 5 hours.  Pull chicken breasts out, trim, cut up the meat and return to the pot.  Since I used whole tomatoes, I pulled them out and quartered those also.  You could use diced tomatoes which is probably what I will do next time.


J also convinced me today to pull out our cinnamon butter braid out of the freezer and make it today.  I just put in in the oven and can't wait to pull it out!!  Yummy desert!!!


Here it is going in...




And here it is when it came out...  YUMMY!!




Hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing it!!!  Until next time...  sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments put a smile on my face... make me smile!! :D